The magical combination of essentials oils and scented candles conjure up images of calm, serenity and tranquillity. The delicate and subtle aromas invite relaxation and mindfulness into any space. That is the reason essential oil candles are trending - becoming a natural antidote to stressful and frantic lifestyles.
Aromatherapy candles, infused with pure and organic essential oils, can have a positive impact on our minds and bodies. As you inhale the gentle fragrance of the natural plant scents, which are released into your surroundings as essential oil candles burn, you experience the holistic, soothing and therapeutic effects essential oils are known for.
The science behind essential oil candles
The science behind the sense of smell is incredibly powerful. Scents are first processed in the olfactory bulb in your nose and then head to the amygdala and hippocampus - two areas of your brain that are strongly linked to emotion and memory. By inhaling a scent, emotions are triggered, connecting you to a time or sensation. Essential oil candles become a wonderfully scented tool for managing emotions and creating a sense of calm.
Essential oil candles - made from soy wax and pure oil - contain no additives or stabilizers and are the perfect way to transform your space and your mood, impacting how we process daily challenges and stressful circumstances.
Make your own essential oil candles
There are many online tutorials and instructive videos on how to make essential oil candles which you can browse at your leisure.
Here are 2 suggested links:
How to Make Essential Oil Candles - Aromatherapy Essential Oil Candle Making DIY
How to Make Candles with Essential Oils - Homemade Summer DIY♡ NaturallyThriftyMom
But if you are new essential oils and candle making, there are a few basic tips you need to be aware of:
Let’s talk essential oils:
- Essential oils candles that are scented with pure organic oils contain no additives, chemical compounds or stabilizers and therefore offer a more subtle and natural fragrance to synthetic fragranced candles.
- Every essential oil is different in strength. So when making your candle, you will need to experiment with different percentages of oils that you add to your wax to get your preferred aroma strength level.
- If you are a purist, you might only want to add 1 essential oil to your candle wax. But mixing certain combinations of essential oils - to create a bespoke blended aroma - will have you feeling like a master perfumer.
Let’s talk wax:
- Beeswax or soy wax can be used when making natural essential oil candles. Beeswax tends to be expensive and has its own honeyed scent. Soy wax is easy to find, inexpensive, retains the natural scent of the essentials oils for longer and releases the fragrance slowly so your candles will smell better for longer.
- Because pure essential oils contain no stabilizers or additives, they cannot be added directly to the soy wax at 185F. (If you add the essential oils at this temperature, they will burn off and the scent will evaporate). So once the wax reaches 185F, take it off the heat and allow to cool. Add the essential oils when it has cooled to about 130F.
- When adding the essential oils to the candle wax, stir in really well to make sure it is distributed evenly throughout the wax.
Favorite essential oil candle fragrance blends
Put your master perfumery skills to the test by experimenting with the following blends to get you started:
‘Home sweet home:’ An essential oil blend in a ratio of 2:2:1 of Lavender oil, Bergamot oil and Juniper Berry oil will create an energising and uplifting, but also a calming and balanced, environment.
‘An ocean breeze:’ Be instantly transported to the seaside and take a walk along the beach with a refreshing outdoor woodsy aroma by adding 3 parts Cypress oil, 3 parts Tangerine oil and 2 parts Patchouli oil to your wax.
‘Just stay awhile:’ Create a welcoming space that becomes a sacred refuge for friends and family and invites guests to stay awhile. Combine 3 parts Ginger oil, 3 parts Lemongrass oil and 2 parts Sweet Orange oil.
‘Pursuit of happiness:’ An essential oil candle with 3 parts Lime oil, 2 parts Tea Tree oil and 2 parts Spearmint oil has the magical power to dispel the shadows of melancholy and fill your heart with happiness.
Sanctus essence is your one-stop online haven where you can explore Nature’s therapeutic scented effects and stock up on organic oils to start making your essential oil candles.
Browse our in-house collection of favorite candle making oils.
We believe that the life of an essential oil is directly proportional to the purity of its source and guarantee that all oils are of the highest quality and all our organic products are sourced from certified organic growers and distillers.
Leave a comment