Your skin is the largest organ of your body, exposed not only to the elements but to daily wear and tear, so it needs some well-deserved TLC. What better way to pamper it - chemical- and synthetic-free - than with a natural essential oil soap bar or invigorating scrub?
Old wives’ tales aside, gorgeous skin can be achieved by making good skin choices. That starts with taking advantage of nature’s botanical sources and ingredients which are bound up in fragrant and beneficial essential oil droplets.
Handmade essential oil soaps and scrubs have emerged in cosmetic ranges, blending only the purest ingredients. Thanks to their moisturizing properties and all-natural ingredients, they are the soothing luxury your skin needs.
Skincare products containing essential oils also activate the olfactory system, inviting positive emotions and nurturing the mind. Why wouldn’t you add an essential oil bar or scrub to your daily skincare regime? By making your own, you can add some personalised essential oil joy to your bathroom, every day.
Make your own essential oil soaps
Historically, soapmaking was an ancient artisanal craft, but today it is so much easier. If you are a beginner, a simple starter kit will include a melt and pour soap base - which you won’t have to cure, making it ready to use as soon as it’s cool and hard. Venturing into the wonderful world of handmade essential oil soaps becomes a great way to introduce the therapeutic essence of aromatherapy to kids.
Melt and pour soap bases:
- There are several options to choose from when selecting a base - but a clear or white base is a good place to start, making the process simple and ready to customize. Some bases may also include natural additives like shea butter, goat’s milk, or aloe vera.
- No special equipment is needed - just a pot, a glass/stainless steel bowl to make a double boiler, a wooden spoon, a kitchen knife and a soap mold.
- Melt the soap base according to manufacturer’s instructions, remove from the heat and add 30-40 drops of essential oil and fill the soap molds. Allow to cool for about an hour and remove from molds, ready to be enjoyed!
Essential oil fragrances:
By using pure essential oils, (not synthetic fragrance oils), your handmade soap will be completely naturally scented - your skin deserves nothing less! As you experiment, here is a list of some of the more common and affordable essential oils for your soap-making journey:
- Bergamot’s citrus qualities and gentle floral tinge give it a wonderfully relaxing scent. Organic Bergamot oil is a bit more pricey but definitely worth the spoil.
- Eucalyptus Globulus oil is one of the most popular oils for its cleansing and refreshing scent and its ability to soothe aching muscles and joints. Combine it with the earthy scent of Frankincense Frereana oil (good for more mature skin) and you will be on an ‘aromatherapy high.’
- Grapefruit Pink oil - its name belongs on handmade soap - is your ‘happy vibe’ essential oil, great as part of your morning cleansing routine.
- No-one will argue that Lavender oil is one of the most used essential oils for soapmaking. It is incredibly soothing on the skin. Combine it with the energizing, astringent and antimicrobial properties of Rosemary oil (which is said to increase clarity of mind) for a truly special essential oil soap, especially for oily or acne-prone skin.
- Not everyone loves the exotic scent of Patchouli oil, but it can diffuse nervous tension and worry, and is great for meditation. Use at night for sweet dreams.
- The stimulating and cooling effects of Peppermint oil make it great for use in the summer and it is also said to help with allergies and inflammation.
Make your own essential oil scrubs
Body scrubs are popular for exfoliating your skin and boosting your skin’s vibrant glow by removing the top dead layer of skin cells. (Best used only 2 to 3 times a weak).
Make your own homemade essential oil scrubs by using ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
- Mix either salt crystals or sugar granules with a carrier oil, (coconut oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, almond oil, or olive oil).
- Add a few drops of your favourite essential oils - see our curated list above - and store in a sealed container.
If you are itching to start making your own essentials oil soaps or scrubs, then we suggest you rush over to Sanctus Essence and create your personal wish list of organic oils.
And if you are looking to take your DIY essential oils skills a little further, then become a master perfumer and make your own essential oil candles.
Subscribe and get 10% off on your first order. Use the code SUB100OFF at checkout.
Start your essential oil soapmaking adventure today.