Jewish history and the Biblical narrative record the very first Christmas when the ‘3 Wise Men’ travelled from the East, following a star. They came bearing gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh - reputed to be priceless in those times. Whether these ancient Magi knew the holistic health benefits of Frankincense and Myrrh, or that organic essential oils are today referred to as ‘liquid gold,’ cannot be known - but they were clearly significant and valuable gift options.
It would therefore be remiss of us to not take advantage of the festive season and highlight the wonder of these ‘Christmassy’ organic essential oils which have health and wellness benefits all year round. We think they should make it into everyone’s Christmas stocking.
The gift of (liquid) Gold
We are aware that gold is not an aromatherapy oil (if only it were), but as nature’s pure droplets, organic essential oils rank up there with one of the world’s most precious metals. As a concentrated version of the oils found in plants and trees, organic essential oils are a natural antidote to a chemically enhanced world of supplements, offering you the holistic healing properties encased in these little droplets of balance and harmony.
Read our blog on the reasons we consider them nature’s poetry and powerhouse. It will be easy to see why we refer to organic essential oils as liquid gold. So in our eyes, any organic essential oil is worth its weight in gold and is ‘wise’ choice as a gift.
The gift of Frankincense
With its intense golden hue, you will be forgiven for thinking that Frankincense is actual liquid gold. Organic Frankincense essential oil is appropriately called the ‘King of essential oils’ and is distilled from the resin of the Boswellia tree varieties found in the mountainous regions of the Middle East, North Africa and India. The woody, spice smell can be inhaled, used topically by adding to a carrier oil such as Jojoba or Almond, or taken internally by steeping 1 or 2 drops in tea or adding to a Veggie capsule.
Frankincense oil comes in four varieties and contains Terpenes and Boswellia acids which are known to have the following anti-inflammatory effects and benefits:
- Research suggests that Frankincense Serrata and Frankincense Frereana oils have provided beneficial relief of joint inflammation and improve arthritis as it prevents the release of leukotrienes, inflammation-causing compounds in the body.
- For centuries ancient civilizations used Frankincense Carteri essential oil with its lemon and woody scent in traditional medicine to treat bronchitis and reduce asthma symptoms as it was believed that the oil prevented the production of leukotrienes which cause muscles to constrict in an asthma attack.
- The antibacterial properties of Boswellia acid are said to prevent bad breath and mouth ulcers and cavities.
- Frankincense Carteri oil is also noted for its skin benefits. Add a few drops to your daily moisturizer or hand cream to relieve dry skin and reduce uneven skin tone and blemishes.
- As a massage oil, you cannot go wrong. Just add a few drops of Frankincense Frereana oil to a carrier oil and massage into fatigued or aching muscles.
- Start and end your day by inhaling a few drops of Frankincense Boswellia Neglecta’s vanilla and minty scent for a sense of calm.
Did you know? The ancient Egyptians used Frankincense as part of their embalming process, and the resin was also charred and ground into a powder to make the heavy kohl eyeliner Egyptian women wore.
(All four varieties of Organic Frankincense essential oils are safe for children).
The gift of Myrrh
Records from ancient times have shown that Myrrh was so valuable, it was valued at its weight in gold. Organic Myrrh essential oil comes from leaking resin of the thorny Commiphora tree when its bark is cut. Once the resin has dried and hardened, it is scraped off the bark in tear-shaped droplets and then steamed to produce the essential oil.
The reputed antimicrobial benefits of this versatile reddish-brown foresty and earthy oil are numerous:
- Add 1 to 2 Myrrh oil drops to your toothpaste for oral health and cleansing benefits, or add one to two drops to 4 ounces of water and gargle for a quick mouth rinse.
- Feeling overwhelmed and tense? Add 3-4 drops of this herby aromatic oil to your diffuser for mindfulness, balance and calm,
- Added to your lotion/moisturizer, the sesquiterpene ether, curzerene, in organic Myrrh oil is said to help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Myrrh oil may also be said to help relieve headaches, joint and back pain. Use topically by adding a few drops to a carrier oil of choice.
- The woody and bitter notes of Myrrh oil are best blended with blending Myrrh oil with the warm, spicy oils such as Frankincense, Sandalwood or Clove, or with floral leafy oils such as Lavender or Eucalyptus.
Did you know? The ancient Egyptians used Myrrh oil as a rejuvenating facial treatment and according to Alain Touwaide, a historian of medicine at the Smithsonian Institute, “Myrrh appears with more frequency than any other plant substance in the writings of the Greek physician Hippocrates, who revolutionized the field of medicine in the fourth and third centuries B.C.”
(Organic Myrrh essential oil is not safe for children, pregnant or nursing women).
The gift of Sanctus Essence
Sanctus Essence means 'holy essence' and offers nature’s gift to you in the form of distilled, packaged and USDA approved organic essential oils. Our oils are non-GMO and are free of pesticides, insecticides and additives. They are also gluten-free, vegan and cruelty-free with no added carrier oils.
(If you are wise, you will take advantage of our current holiday season offer and get 15% off when you spend $30 or more. Just use the code HS15 at checkout).